- The first Constitution of the State of Michigan was adopted by the United States Congress in 1835 establishing the Register of Deeds as the official recording office for all legal documents and instruments pertaining to the transfer and encumbrance of real property (land) located within each county. The duties and responsibilities of the Register of Deeds Office are established by state law to include recording, indexing and retaining documents that convey or encumber real estate located within the County.
- Derrick Quinney is the current Ingham County Register of Deeds and is the 32nd person to hold the office and is appointed by the Governor Whitmer to serve on the Michigan Electronic Recording Commission
- Hi, I am Derrick Quinney and I am running for Register of Deeds position in 2020, and I am thrilled to have you find me on my campaign page. I would like you all to get to know me better and here you can. I grew up in Ingham County and went to both Lansing Public Schools and the Lansing Community College. I started my career off while working for General Motors back in 1978 and was very involved with the UAW at the time. I served on several committees and held many positions on them. I was once a Labor Loaned Executive from the UAW and GM for Capital Area United Way on public campaigns. Being a member of Old News Boys of Greater Lansing and a former Board of Directors, I know my way around being an effective member and leader to Greater Lansing.
- It then became more apparent for when I served on the Lansing Board of Police Commissioners and was voted in to serve as the Vice Chair and Chair of the board. The next thing I achieved was that I had been appointed to serve as an At Large Council member for the Lansing City Council and with the help of voters and supporters like yourself, had served two terms in that same position as both Vice President and President.
- I have a strong, supportive, beautiful wife Desiree, two children; daughter, Dekeea Quinney-Davis; and son, Dr. Dominick Quinney.
- I am a proud member of Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church, The United Auto Workers, The A. Philip Randolph Institute, The Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, Coalition of Labor Union Women, the Fraternal Order of Eagles, Mason Rotary and the Greater Lansing Food Bank. I am quite involved with the what goes on in my city and proudly serve my peers.
Register of Deeds